Tablet computers now have Samsung’s Galaxy Tab. There is a lot of information out on the tab, but as always not enough. Most people like to know what to expect regarding the applications (apps) that either come with the device or are available for download. Fortunately, the device has a number of applications available with more to come.
The Galaxy Tab features a 7-inch TFT-LCD touchscreen, Wi-Fi capability, a 1.0 GHz ARM Cortex-A8 (Hummingbird) processor, and the Swype input system. It is equipped with front and rear facing cameras for video calls. It comes with some great apps that are really impressive. It is understandable that not everyone uses their device the same and these may not make their list, but they are some amazing apps that deserve consideration. This article will discuss the top five best apps for the Tab.
1. Angry Birds: This is a popular game that is available as a free download on the android market. It takes advantage of the Tab’s full screen and features challenging physics-based game play that requires logic, skill, and force to crush the enemy. It is the survival of the Angry Birds as each one uses their special power to take revenge on the greedy pigs who stole their eggs.
2. Skype: Free Skype-to-Skype calls over 3G or WiFi. Call landlines or mobile phones at great Skype rates. You can instant message one or more friends at the same time. You will need a data plan or WiFi connection (calling in U.S – WiFi only). Keep in mind that depending on the data plan provider, some devices may not be supported. You will need to set up a Skype internet number and download the Skype app. Plus, you will have to pay for an account in addition to the data plan that provides 3G access.
3. YouTube: The 1024-by-600 screen on the Samsung Galaxy Tab means you have to watch YouTube videos in HQ (High Quality) mode and not HD (High Definition) for the videos to be viewable. However, some owners warn that there is an issue with the videos where even the HQ mode of the YouTube app doesn’t provide high enough quality to prevent fuzziness in the video during playback. The recommendation is to use the YouTube video in the browser and set to 720p if available for the video. There is also the ability to download and store YouTube videos on the Tab for later viewing. Chess tournaments calendar
4. SparkChess: is a free chess game that works in landscape format. It features great graphics, two difficulty levels and is optimized for fast, casual matches. You can save, load, resume and undo, making it ideal for chess beginners. SparkChess is intended for HD (7-10″, 1024×600) devices such as the Galaxy Tab and requires Adobe AIR Framework.
5. NY Times and WSJ (Wall Street Journal): Two of the top U.S. media publications have been formatted for the Tab which allows their readers to read their favorite publications on the go. Both newspapers make full use of the 7-inch screen to present the papers in a beautiful color magazine type display which is very different from how it appears on the smaller phone displays.
Kindle for Android: allows you to read more than 750,000 Kindle books on your Samsung Galaxy Tab including thousands of free eBooks. You can add, edit or delete notes and highlights them, search inside the book for words or phrases, etc. You can also choose to lock the screen orientation in either landscape or portrait and look up words on Wikipedia and Dictionary.com. The app will automatically synchronize your last page read between devices with Amazon Whispersync. Adjust the text size, color mode, or brightness. If you are a non-US customer, book availability may vary.
Asphalt HD: is an awesome 3D accelerometer (motion sensor) driving game which uses the full 1024-by- 600 screen on the Galaxy Tab. This is a fast pace first person race car game with amazing graphics and is being touted as one of the best in its league. Players describe the game as fun to play, challenging and addictive. It has the option for multi-player online participation and the game data is stored to the SD card and not internal memory.